6 Reasons it is Wise to Forgive
by Tai Ikomi

The road to letting go our offenders may have several difficult roadblocks. One such roadblock is when we think that the offender feels he is smart and that we are stupid. That can hurt. Let us look at 6 reasons it is wise to forgive.

1. The advice of the all-wise God.
Although your offender might think you are being stupid by forgiving him, the truth of the matter is that you are not. Not by a long shot. What should really be of importance to you is the fact that you are wise enough to heed the advice of the all-wise God. Therefore, your decision to forgive cannot be a stupid one. Forgiving is a logical action to take. Remember that. Furthermore, you need to remember that the only win or lose situation that should matter is the one where you win or lose before the divine court. When you forgive, you are the winner in the eyes of God. That should be sufficient reason to know that you are not stupid. You are blessed.

But he said, Yea rather, blessed [are] they that hear the word of God, and keep it (Luke 11:28).

2. The need for your own forgiveness
Secondly, while the blood of Jesus is the only merit by which God can forgive us another might prevent you from gaining your forgiveness as a born again Christian. God will forgive you of your sins to the extent that you forgive others. If you do not forgive, your sins will not be forgiven, and God's forgiveness is a blessing that is too great to place a price on. Losing this blessing could lead to illnesses, sicknesses, and diseases. It could lead to an inability to pray. It could lead God to withhold His mercy from you, just as you withheld mercy from your offender. The spiritual repercussions are too great.

But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses (Mark 11:26).

3. Obedience to God's direct command
Thirdly, in letting go of an offender, you are obeying a direct order from the Lord. In refusing to do so, you are not truly paying due respect to His commandment. Your decision to forgive is not dependent on the way others look at you nor is it dependent on their opinion of whether or not you have made a wise decision. If you think calling fear of God stupid, then think again.

The fear of the LORD [is] a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death (Proverbs 14:27).

4. The positive effect of forgiveness on your emotions
Fourth, letting go your offender will bring untold blessings to your emotional state. In forgiving your offender, your anger against them turns into relief. Not only that but in forgiving, the pain disappears as well. The hurt you feel when someone offends you is directly tied to the offense. Therefore, when you forgive, the pain associated with the offender is released as well. How could anyone ever think forgiveness is the wrong path to take? The peace, joy, and relief that you experience are worth more than gold.

The statutes of the LORD [are] right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD [is] pure, enlightening the eyes (Psalms 19:8).

5. The positive effect of forgiveness on your health
Fifth, when you forgive, you are doing your health a world of good. The negative emotions that accompany the refusal to forgive release stress chemicals that attack your immune system, leading to various health hazards like heart attacks, cancer, high blood pressure, and so on. When you forgive, you are not being stupid; you are being wise. You will reap the benefits of forgiveness in good health.

A merry heart doeth good [like] a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones (Proverbs 17:22).

6. Breaking away from the past
Sixth, when you forgive, you break free from the past and open yourself up to a bright, new future. You do not allow yourself to wallow in a past that would otherwise have had a negative impact on your future relationships. The pain of the past will soil the beautiful new relationships God has sent along your path.

Forgiveness is your friend; being unforgiving is your enemy. No, in forgiving, you are not being stupid. You are being wise. In letting go, you have chosen the wisest course, one that should always be taken!

Dr. Tai Ikomi is an author of over 30 books .and a conference speaker. She gives seminars on the Names of God and forgiveness after forgiving the drunk man who killed her entire family. She is the founder of Forgiveness Discipleship.

Dr. Tai Ikomi
[email protected]
www.forgivenessdiscipleship.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print