Good-The Worst Enemy of Best
by Ken Barnes

"But forget all that
it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
For I am about to do something new..." (Isaiah 43:18-19A NLT)

Isaiah was encouraging Israel that God was on the move and about to do a new thing. But before they could receive the new they had to forget the old. Sometimes we have to let go of the good to get God's best.
Remembering God's past faithfulness is proper as long as it does not hinder us from experiencing the new plans He has for us. Every renewal in church history has been resisted by the previous one. The Charismatic movement of the latter part of the twentieth century was opposed by the old line Pentecostals, people of essentially the same theology. We start to trust in our ways, means, and even theology more than God Himself. God may move in one manner in this generation, and a different way in the next. Which often gets our dander up. Why? We have deified God's methods in one season, without considering He might do it differently in the next. Our sovereign Lord has a perfect plan for every period of our lives. For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven (Ecclesiastes 3:1 NLT). We should never allow ourselves to become a prisoner of a positive past.
My brothers and sisters in Christ, let go of those sacred cows and allow the Lamb of God to do a new thing in your midst. Good is always the worst enemy of God's best.

I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print