Sweat of Your Brow
by PamFord Davis

"You will eat bread by the sweat of your brow until you return to the ground, since you were taken from it (Genesis 3:19a HCS)."

As judgment for Adams' willful sin, Creator God had cursed the ground. Man's work, as means of service and fulfillment, instantaneously changed. He would toil, travail day in and day out.

Today was my father's birthday. I wish to honor him, Frank Ford, for his faithfulness to provide for his five children. He often held down two jobs to keep us fed and full. Dad labored with love.

No work was too menial; manual labor met financial needs.

A second shift at General Electric, as security guard, was Dad's full time job in Syracuse, NY for close to twenty-five years. Though it brought in a good salary, the pay was not sufficient to meet family expenses. Dad sought part time employment for ready cash.

For many years, he worked in Manlius at prestigious Stickley Furniture Company. His duties included sanding and staining items before distribution. Stickley pieces are treasured Ford family heirlooms.

I emotionally recall another part time job that Dad held only briefly. He worked as part time custodian at Chittenango Lake Street Elementary. You might wonder why that recollection makes me emotional I rode with him to school.

I was attending Chittenango High School, at the top of the hill, while he carried out custodian duties in the school down the hill. Our short distance ride from the house in Mycenae gave us quality time.

We chatted and listened to the radio on our way. I cherish those moments.

I miss my Dad.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print