The Honor Of Humility
by Ken Barnes

And before honor comes humility
(Proverbs 15: 33b NASB)

I wonder what they think about me now?
I worked as missionary with Youth With A Mission, referred to as YWAM. I was a recruiter setting up mission presentations. One weekend a couple that organized meetings for me in South Carolina came to visit us in Virginia. This couple really loved missions and respected the work we did.

Sunday morning we had them over for breakfast before we went to church. I was helping my youngest daughter get dressed for church. My little one who usually was the picture of submission was having a hard time listening to her Dad that morning. Finally I lost it and let her have it verbally in a very unloving fashion. I knew I was wrong and I apologized to her. She forgave me as kids usually do. But we were in the room right next to where my guests we're waiting. I thought to myself, I wonder what they think about me now. Needless to say it was a very awkward breakfast for me that morning.

After church at a restaurant before we prayed for the food I decided I needed to get this thing off my chest. It didn't matter whether they had heard me or not. I needed to be known in my weakness and ask them to pray that I would handle stress better. As I told them the story the husband got a huge smile on his face. He said, "that's what we like about you YWAMERS, you have the rhema in this area of openness." Wow! I saw that I had been believing a lie. What I wanted to hide, when revealed, didn't bring shame but respect. In God's Kingdom honor is always preceded by humility.

I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print