Contentment In Christ
by Susan Ferguson

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13 NIV)


The apostle Paul was imprisoned in Rome when he wrote to the Philippians. Written in his later years (61 A.D.), this great man of God had to learn to be content, just as we do. True contentment is rare and doesn't come naturally to anyone.  Comparing our lot in life with those who are more prosperous, successful, or talented than we are can fuel discontentment. To complicate matters, the world we live in encourages dissatisfaction with our lives. There's always something new that will make life better. There's always a dream that must come true before our lives are complete. But when that dream is fulfilled, we often discover it has its problems. Real contentment comes from the joy of knowing Christ, serving Him and others, and counting our blessings.


Be inspired by the words of Charles H. Spurgeon:


"Now, contentment is one of the flowers of heaven, and if we would have it, it must be cultivated. It will not grow in us by nature; it is the new nature alone that can produce it, and even then we must be careful and watchful that we maintain and cultivate the grace which God has sown in it."


Father, thank You for my blessings and for the joy and peace of knowing Christ.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.


 




Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print