Abraham's Servant
by Ken Barnes

..."O Lord, the God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today, and show lovingkindness to my master Abraham" (Genesis 24:12 NASB).

A man we only know as Abraham's servant was given a task to do that would affect the destiny of a family and eventually a whole nation. God choses obscure and ordinary people to do some extraordinary things. But what qualified this servant for the task?

The focal point of his prayer is telling. He asks for success, but why? So that the purposes of the one he served could be realized. The measure of a servant's heart is the willingness to forego his interests to help accomplish the purposes of those that he serves.

The first missionary, Abraham, was told in Genesis 12:2 that he was blessed to be a blessing. I believe at least in part this servant was chosen because he had this kind of heart; one that wanted success but not as an end in itself but as a means to an end, being a blessing. Every great man or women of God like Abraham, has servants behind them choosing their highest good, and without whom they will not be able to complete their calling. They are the glue that holds the ministry together.

In our service to God, what we do is not nearly as important as why we do it. Let's ask God for every blessing he wants to give to us, but not to spend them on our own pleasures. Invest them in those we love and serve. We are not even told the name of this servant, but I can tell you one thing for sure, God knows it. For a servant of Christ, this is not the most important thing; it's the only thing that counts.

I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print