Jesus Has Been in Your Shoes, Part 1
by Tai Ikomi

Jesus has proved to be the greatest Example, Role Model, and Trail Blazer for the believers of all generations, cultures, and languages. His life has proved to be one that we can emulate but more importantly, we know He understands how we feel. He knows our pain.

This reality applies even in the area of forgiveness. We will look at some of the areas of forgiveness and compare them to what Jesus too has undergone. Our observation of His forgiveness-driven lifestyle will propel us to forgive. He has conquered sin in His own body, and now He is saying, "Follow me." And we too respond, "Lord, where you lead, I follow."

1. Betrayal
Perhaps someone you trusted unequivocally has betrayed you. The person was very close to you, but eventually broke your trust. Jesus has been there. Judas was one of the twelve with whom Jesus ate every day and to whom He had given power to cast out demons. He had trusted him with the purse.
Yet he betrayed Jesus so that He could be put to death. He singled out Jesus to the band of soldiers who came to arrest Him.

Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast (Mt 26:48).

The disciples did not even know that Judas was going to be the traitor. Jesus did not treat him any differently even though He knew who would betray Him.

When Judas eventually singled Him out, Jesus called his traitor friend,

And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him (Matthew 26:50).

Jesus, however, pointed out to him blatantly that the kiss was not a friendly gesture but a sign already given to them.

But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss? (Luke 22:48)

In spite of what Judas did, Jesus was ready to forgive him, but Judas did not come to Him for forgiveness. He went and hanged Himself. When you have been betrayed by a friend or family member, remember Jesus has been there. He has been in your shows. He is by your side to help you. Do what He did. Let the life of the One who call Lord, to spur you to forgive and look up to God to come through for you.

2. Spite
Maybe someone looked down on you because they think they are better than you. Perhaps they think your parents are nobodies. Or your origin of birth is of no consequence compared to theirs. Jesus understands, for He has been there. The Jews were offended by him because He called Himself the promised Messiah. They alluded to His father, who apparently was not a wealthy man.

The Pharisees dismissed the claim of Jesus as the expected Messiah on the grounds of His state. They told Nicodemus, a Pharisee who had come to Jesus by night, that Jesus could not be a prophet because no prophet had ever arisen from His state, Galilee.

They answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee? Search, and look: for out of Galilee ariseth no prophet (John 7:52).

Know that Jesus knows how you feel. Jesus did not count these transgressions against them neither should you. You are trying to follow in the footsteps of your Savior. Jesus prayed for them. He died for their sins. Let Jesus' example give you the comfort that you are not alone. Like Jesus, assume that they know not what they do.

3. Abandonment
Probably you felt disserted by people in your organization. You trained them to be their best. In your work, all of you have done wonderful projects together. You have poured out so much into them. Then, when the going got tough, they deserted you.

The management, perhaps, found your work less than perfect. Maybe you were suspended. The people you once helped so much denied you. They did not want to identify with you. You are disappointed, and perhaps you vow never to forgive them or you make a decision not to help or mentor people anymore.

Jesus understands, for He too has gone through the same thing. His disciples too left Him. They all ran away when the soldiers came to arrest Jesus.

But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled (Matthew 26:56).

They were afraid of the repercussions of identifying themselves with Him. Yet Jesus forgave them. As a matter of fact, He had predicted to them that they would do just that, but He said that His Father was there with Him. These are words of someone who did not take offense at their action.

Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me (John 16:32).

You too can take solace in the fact that God will never abandon you even if others do. Look at the example of Jesus and go ahead and forgive them. His example is enough reason to forgive. He is your Role Model.

Forgiveness Prayer
Yes, Lord you have been where I am today. I forgive those who betrayed me, or despitefully used me and have abandoned me in my hour of crisis. I pray that where I find it difficult you encourage me and strengthen me. The strength you had to forgive your traitors, grant it to me now in your name I pray. Amen.

Discussion
1. Have you ever felt betrayed? How did you deal with the emotions?
2. How do you stop yourself from hurting others out of spite?
3. What are a few ways you can remind yourself to be like Jesus when forgiving?
4. What is the most important lesson you've taken away from this section?

Dr. Tai Ikomi is an author of over 30 books .and a conference speaker. She gives seminars on the Names of God and forgiveness after forgiving the drunk man who killed her entire family. She is the founder of Forgiveness Discipleship.

Dr. Tai Ikomi
[email protected]
www.forgivenessdiscipleship.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print