The Value of a Seed
by Femi Onabanjo

Text: John 6 : 1 - 13

Christ's feeding of the five thousand was brought about by a little boy's sacrifice. From this story, we learn three important lessons about the value of a single seed:

1. LITTLE BECOMES MUCH WHEN GOD IS IN IT
What initially would not have been sufficient to feed more than a handful of people eventually fed over five thousand men, besides women and children (see Matt. 14:21). Assuming one woman and one child for every man present, Christ may well have fed close to fifteen thousand people! It is important to note that the people were satisfied (v12), meaning they had more than enough hence the leftovers. This is the reason we should pray over (bless) our tithe, offering, abilities, possessions etc. When we do so, their value is multiplied, they achieve much more when utilised and they (our possessions) are more than sufficient for our needs.

2. THE HARVEST IS ALWAYS IN PROPORTION TO THE VALUE OF THE SEED
The greater the sacrifice involved in sowing a seed, the greater the value of the seed in God's eyes (Luke 21:3-4) and the greater the harvest (Luke 6:38). The harvest refers to what God does with our seed. It is the result of sowing our seed and usually involves three parties:
God His Name is glorified by the mighty works He does through our seed
Others they experience God's touch through His mighty works
Us we receive spiritual and material blessings in return

The little boy gave all he had, and God surprised him with the results.

3. WE SHOULD NOT BE WASTEFUL
Jesus instructed that the left-overs be gathered. He specifically said, "Let nothing be wasted" (v12). From those left-overs came TWELVE FULL BASKETS. How quick we often are to write things (and even people) off. However, by so doing, we waste valuable resources that could profit both us and others. If only five loaves and two fish generated up to twelve baskets of left-overs, just imagine the potential of those twelve baskets! Not only would they have fed an even larger multitude, they would have reproduced themselves with interest! This is an important principle which we can apply to our finances to plug leaks in our income and convert our 'waste' to wealth.

What wonders happen when we sow our seed! Now that you have read this, what are you going to do with the seed in your hand?

Prayer:
Lord, please open my eyes to recognize and value the seeds that You have placed in my life. Help me to sow them as You would have me so that they may bring You glory, bless others and bless me as well. Amen

Femi is a Christian who desires to be fruitful for God. He wants to contribute to the growth of the Kingdom and to this end, it is his joy to freely share whatever the Lord lays on his heart for the benefit of others.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print