Three Times
by Femi Onabanjo

Text: Matthew 26: 69 - 75

Have you ever wondered how God could ever love, die for, save, forgive or redeem someone like you? We have all at one time or the other sunk so low in despair, regret or depression and considered ourselves beyond repair, unfit for the Masters use, unworthy to be beheld (much less held) by Him. Beloved, this is the true spirit of repentance. One that realizes its true state; one that acknowledges the vileness of sin, that recoils in horror at the stench of it, is ashamed of it and yet acknowledges, as it must, ownership of it.

The Spirit of repentance cries out, O wretched man that I am! Although these are the same words uttered by the spirit of condemnation, there is a difference, for the repentant spirit goes on to say, Have mercy on me, O Lord. It clings to the foot of the Cross while looking up at the Mercy Seat. Condemnation, on the other hand, does not consider pleading it has given up already. It does not go to the Cross. It will not even bother to look up, to consider that there just may be one more chance.

If you have sinned, come to the Cross. It does not matter how far you have fallen. What a blessing it is that Peter denied Jesus three times. Had it been only once, we might think this to be the reason he received forgiveness. But it was three times and with such vehemence did he deny Him. Peters experience cuts the picture of the unfailing love of a Saviour that will always receive the vilest sinner and forgive the worst offender. Hear the promise of the Saviour: Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow (Isa 1:18). Indeed, we have the assurance that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

Oh sinner, remember that it is His nature to always have mercy. Mercy comes from above, not below. Lift your head and, through the tears of godly sorrow, behold the Lamb of God who takes away your sin. Allow His blood to cleanse you. Then rise from the ashes of sorrow to rejoice in the riches of His Grace. Enter into His Presence with thanksgiving. Receive a new heart (Ezek. 36:26), a new garment (Isa. 61:3) and a new name (Isa. 62:2). Then, like Peter, when you have been strengthened, go and strengthen your brothers (Luke 22:32). Go, and sin no more.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank you for the Cross, Your blood and the Mercy Seat. Thank You because through the gate of repentance, I have access to Your forgiveness. I am made clean. I am made whole and now, I go to sin no more. Amen.

Femi is a Christian who desires to be fruitful for God. He wants to contribute to the growth of the Kingdom and to this end, it is his joy to freely share whatever the Lord lays on his heart for the benefit of others.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print