The Importance of Valuing Relationships
by Vanessa Grossett

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

Recently I attended a ladies meeting, the topic of discussion was on relationships.

Sadly many of the ladies including myself, were hurt by others within the body of Christ. A lot of them have become very cautious of people, their faith in God was strong, and they did forgive but they were still hurting. That's because you forgive someone doesn't mean the pain will automatically go away. Some things do take time, especially when you have given people a chance, and been kind to them.

On my way home it made me think about the importance of valuing others. Often time this subject is very overlooked. If a Christian gets hurt by another; we have this, 'they will get over it' attitude, as they have to forgive.

People can also be put in a hierarchical position. For example, 'this person is not that important, so I don't need to get back to them.' However if something is needed from them, they will get put back in the priority list. Guess what? Feelings are not hierarchical. That's because someone is a brother or sister in Christ, doesn't mean they don't get hurt, and they should be treated anyhow.

In fact the above scripture tells us, 'by this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another,' and 'therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers,' Galatians 6:10. To me, the Lord emphases in His word, believers must value each other.

How do you value your relationship with others? Do you toss someone aside when you get what you need from him or her? Do you not return their phone calls or emails because you don't see them as important? Do you talk to them rudely, manipulate or control? Do you show them the love of God?

Brethren how we treat people can affect their emotional well being, it can do them harm or good. That is why this topic, should not be treated as trivial. Whether it's a business, friendship, or intimate relationship people have feelings. The Lord clearly tells us in His word, 'Do to others as you would have them do to you,' Luke 6:31.

You don't have to be at peoples beckon call all the time, especially if you find someone is being very clinging. In situations like this you need to apply wisdom and discernment, sometimes the person may need professional counselling.

What we must do is show people the love of God, especially within the body of Christ. Sometimes we tend to give unbelievers more love and respect than believers, brethren this shouldn't be so.

Lets think about how we are treating others. Let us not be a hindrance or disappointment in a person's life; rather let us be a blessing, and let us love one another, as Christ loved us.

'Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.' 1 John 4:20.

Vanessa Grossett is a Literary Agent, and contributing writer for multi award winning Keep The Faith Magazine. She is also Outstanding Business Woman Finalist of 2017, visit www.theauthorscare.co.uk 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print