Finding Faith in an Age of Doubt
by Toni Babcock

"For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God," (Ephesians 2:8 KJV).

From time to time you may hear the question, "What faith do you belong to?" As if faith were merely a set of spiritual principles one decides to pick and choose from. Yet the reality is, we do not belong to faith. Faith belongs to, or does not belong to us.

So how does one get faith? One should be careful not to mistake it for mere devotion. One might become devoted to all kinds of things, religious or non-religious, but this is not the faith the Bible refers to as "the gift of God".

For the Christian, biblical faith is unique in that it is driven solely by God's word and promise. It is the outworking of an inner life ignited by a living faith in the living God. It is the exercise of the heart's surrender, and a committal to trust in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

Charles Spurgeon, that great nineteenth century preacher put it this way:

"Trust is the lifeblood of faith; there is no saving faith without it Lean with all your weight upon Christ fall at full length and lie on the Rock of Ages. Cast yourself upon Jesus. Rest in Him. Commit yourself to Him. That done, you have exercised saving faith."

Re-edited/abridged from original post
Copyright 2016

Copyright 2022. Toni Babcock is author of Reflections from the Heart in Light of the Gospel of Jesus, and The Stone Writer, Christian Fiction for Young Readers and Teens. Many of her devotionals have been featured on www.faithwriters.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print