Should We Tithe?
by Dinora Garza

"So Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on its top. He called the name of that place Bethel; however, previously the name of the city had been Luz. Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will keep me on this journey that I take, and will give me food to eat and garments to wear, and I return to my father's house in safety, then the Lord will be my God. This stone, which I have set up as a pillar, will be God's house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.""

If you've ever thought of tithing as a burden imposed by God, let me correct your spiritual vision. Although tithing became an ordinance later, it didn't start that way. Tithing started as a promise to God for anticipated blessings.

Jacob said to God, "If you sustain me like you said you would. If you give me food and clothes. If you never forsake me and if make me return to my house in peace, You will be my God. And if you so do... you are more than a provider, more than a friend. God, you will be my partner. If you give me, I want to give you also. It's no big deal, but I promise you the tenth of what You give me."

Does it sound like a harsh commandment to you? Does it seem an imposition on God's part? Is it not instead another way of worshipping Him? Isn't this to become partners for life with God?

Tithing is a privilege, a small form of thanks, which will always be insufficient considering all we receive from God. Tithing is a way of saying to God: "I trust you." When tithes are used well, they sustain our pastor and his family, covering all of their needs. It also helps missionaries to evangelize the world, and rescue the lost through Christian literature.

Tithing is an ordinance that fills us with joy and makes us love God more, because it reminds us that before we give Him, He has giving us everything...

Are you tithing?

"!!Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done WITHOUT NEGLECTING the others." Jesus

"Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing me! But you say, 'How have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings."

I am a Christian. My passion is to know the Lord, and help others to understand His character and will. Read one of my blogs at: onetruthonegod.wordpress.com


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print