What Does it Mean "To Receive" Jesus?
by Dinora Garza

There's much confusion among believers about the real meaning of this well-known passage: "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." (John 1: 12)

We are asked at church, "Do you want to receive Jesus?" and we think receiving Him means Jesus will get inside of us (specifically inside our heart) as if we put Him inside an empty box. Of course, Jesus puts His Holy Spirit in us at the time of conversion, but that's not what John meant here. They also ask us, "Do you want to accept Jesus?" as if Jesus needed our acceptance. There are churches where they even cut Him in two: He can either be our "Savior" or our "Lord", or both it all depends on us.


When we answer their question, they pronounce us SAVED, and affirm that beyond a shadow of a doubt we are heading to heaven. Have you seen this at church? They call the new "convert" to the front and ask him, "Now, if you die right now, where will you go?" and the poor man, totally puzzled, has no idea of what he just did, or how to respond.

The result is millions of false believers populating hell and earth...

No. "Receiving Jesus" does not mean letting Jesus enter into our heart or accepting Him into our circle of friends. Receiving the Son of God means believing what He said about Himself, and be willing to submit to His Will precisely because we believe it.

But, what did Jesus say about himself? He said He is the only way to get to heaven. He said His sacrifice on the cross was necessary in order to pay the penalty for our sins to God. He said He has divine authority to forgive sins. He said we need to repent. He said faith in Him saves us, first and foremost of sin, and then of eternal damnation. He said He is God. He said He has all authority over us because He bought us with a price His blood. He said we belong to Him...

Have you truly received Jesus? Do you believe all of these about Him? Do you acknowledge Him as your Savior and Lord? Have you forsaken your sinful lifestyle? Is He you only hope for salvation? Does He govern your life day by day?

"But to as many as did receive Him, to those who put their trust in His person and power, He gave the right to become children of God." (Complete Jewish Bible)

---

I am a Christian. My passion is to know the Lord, and help others to understand His character and will. Read one of my blogs at: onetruthonegod.wordpress.com


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print