"Not All That Glitters is Gold" - Jim Caviezel's Talk at Rock Church
by Dinora Garza

It's getting harder and harder to tell true Christianity from its counterpart. I watched Jim Caviezel, the protagonist of "The Passion of The Christ" giving a talk at Rock Church San Diego. He shared about his relationship with God, and the impact that portraying Jesus made in his life. You can watch the video here: Jim Caviezel - Inspirational Video.

My husband and I were impressed by his boldness and conviction. I was elated that a public figure dared to challenge people to be holy and willing to die for Christ. I didn't know at the moment that the actor is a professing Catholic. Nothing in his words or attitude made me supposed it, and his message seemed doctrinally sound. It was only at the very end of the video that we realized his faith was probably different from ours. Caviezel's message took an unexpected turn when his interviewer asked him to share how people could connect with God.

We were astonished when he assured the congregation that all of them were going to heaven. Although he mentioned sin, the need of repentance and the atoning work of Christ were left untouched. The reason for them going to heaven, he said, was that God loved them and had been in their hearts for a long time, and He wanted to bring them home.

As much as I like Jim (he has a likable personality) I beg to differ. Guaranteeing heaven to people is to deny the very message of Jesus: "Repent and believe the Gospel." The right way to put it would have been: "You all are going to hell, unless and until you repent and believe in Jesus." Jim's message might agree with Catholicism, but unfortunately not with the Word of God.

Why would a supposedly biblical Church invite someone of another faith to tell them how to have a relationship with Jesus? Does that mean that any doctrine will do, as long as it is labeled "Christian"? That's a dangerous way of thinking! and exactly my point: as religious groups mimic each other's words and attitudes (as if all of us believed the same things, about the same God) discerning true Christianity is getting harder.

So, be aware, stay in the Word, compare what you hear and see with the Bible, and teach your children to do the same. Tell them to love and be compassionate towards people, especially Christians, but stress now more than ever that in the Kingdom of God as in the kingdom of men, not all that glitters is gold

"I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel." (Galatians 1: 6)

I am a Christian. My passion is to know the Lord, and help others to understand His character and will. Read one of my blogs at: onetruthonegod.wordpress.com


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print