Pillars in the Pews
by PamFord Davis

"And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do (Galatians 2:9-10 KJV)."

Many of our old Southern plantation homes feature stately white pillars on the edifice. They are impressive. Far more impressive are tributes to men and women who were pillars in their churches.

I dedicate this devotion to Mrs. Lillian Lee, as a memorial to her selfless service to Lanes Ferry Church.

My husband Norm, his mother and I attended her funeral this afternoon in Norm's childhood church. The personal stories shared by her family and pastor were passionate. I recap in two words. Lillian loved. She left a legacy of love.

They spoke of her love for deceased parents and spouse. She was devoted to her son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Her love for all people was rooted in love for her Lord and Savior, Jesus. She acted on the love for Him in her church home.

As a child, Lillian helped her mother clean the church and they did it well. Her pastor humorously remarked that it would pass the white glove test. Willing to serve where ever needed, she taught Sunday school classes and vacation Bible school, sang in the choir and worked in the kitchen too.

Service didn't stop when Lillian's declining health necessitated a move to a nursing home facility. As a transplant to the area, I met her there through a church ministry. Lillian had adapted to her new home, becoming a prayer warrior and liaison between the residents and her pastor.

A pillar was laid to rest today

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print