From Creation to Cross
by Alan Allegra

I have a pretty neat job. I am the Peer-less Reviewer, or General Editor, for an online homeschool resource center. That means I review hundreds of lessons in every subject at every grade level. I get paid to do two of my favorite things: learn, and correct others' mistakes. My penchant for critiquing prompted one pastor to jokingly say I had the "gift of discernment" (1 Corinthians 12:10).

Next to theology, my favorite subject is astronomy. In reality, they are linked, as are all fields of study, because one's understanding and application of any subject is governed by one's view of God. I love that indescribable feeling of awe you get when you look at the moon and stars at night (unless that means you are an insomniac!). At work, I get to watch videos and read descriptions of the stars that were unimaginable decades ago.

The unutterable vastness of the universe and the depth of the wisdom and knowledge of the precise laws that govern it speak of a mind beyond the combined genius of the greatest scientists of all time (Psalm 19:1-6).

Observing Creation shows God's care over, and control of, what He made. Psalm 104 extols the Creator's power in heaven, provision for happiness, and purging of the heathen for His glory. As Paul says in Romans 1:19-20, "For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse."

But gazing into the heavens is not enough to fully reveal what God is like. We can see what He has performed, but we can't see His personality, just like we can admire a skyscraper but not know the heart of the architect or builder. We can enjoy a work of art or piece of music and not truly understand the artist or composer. However, our admiration of the craft might ignite in us a desire to know its creator.

In order to more fully understand and appreciate God, there is one more place we need to look. It's a country the size of New Jersey, outside a small city, on a little hill, on a piece of wood, 2000 years ago. It was on the cross of Calvary that God fully revealed His personality.

Jesus Christ was the full revelation of the person of God, being God Himself (John 14:9; Hebrews 1:1-3). His death on the cross was the ultimate revelation of God's character. He died in a state of absolute sinlessness that pleased God (John 8:29). His death showed God's holy hatred of sin (Ezekiel 18:4; Romans 1:18). Jesus's death as our substitute displayed God's love (John 3:16; Romans 5:8). Christ's death while bearing our sin showed God's righteousness (Romans 3:25; 2 Corinthians 5:21). The crucifixion sealed God's ability to fulfil His promises (Isaiah 53; 1 Corinthians 15:3; Matthew 26:24).

However, the cross is not the end of the story. Jesus walked out of the stone-cold tomb under his own power, clothed in his glorified body, "able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25). This shows the grace of God that provides a way for God to allow sinners to share in His glory (Romans 8:17; Hebrews 2:9).

You don't need a telescope or video to understand God's greatness; you only need to open the pages of the Bible and read about the love of God in that immeasurable little cross so long ago!

Alan is editor of Lifestyles Over 50 (Thrive Media) and contributor to the Allentown, PA, Morning Call. He is also an adult Sunday school teacher and Bible study leader. Passionate about reviving theology and church methodology, and being a senior citizen!

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print