Sorrowful Sisters
by PamFord Davis

I remember the first time that someone I knew died. He was the father of my best friend.

Sorrow is a healthy emotion.

Therefore, in a key scripture passage, the sorrow of two sisters was to be expected

Mary and Martha grieved over the death of their brother, Lazarus. They had hoped that Jesus would come and heal him; their hopes were dashed. (John 11:1-16) Although Martha did not get angry with the Lord, she told him that he could have prevented Lazarus death.

"Then Martha said to Jesus, 'Lord, if You had been here, my brother wouldn't have died. Yet even now I know that whatever You ask from God, God will give You (John 11:21-22 HCS)."

Her sister Mary expressed the same feelings.

"When Mary came to where Jesus was and saw Him, she fell at His feet and told Him, 'Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died (John 11:32 HCS)!"

Both Martha and Mary believed that Jesus could have healed Lazarus. They'd discover that He had the power to restore life!

"So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised His eyes and said, 'Father, I thank You that You heard Me. I know that You always hear Me, but because of the crowd standing here I said this, so they may believe You sent Me.' After He said this, He shouted with a loud voice, 'Lazarus, come out!' The dead man came out bound hand and foot with linen strips and with his face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them, 'Loose him and let him go (John 11:41-44 HCS)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print