Test Time
by Karen White

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7

Students around the nation fear this time of year when they are required to take "The Test". It is stressful not only for you but parents and teachers, as well. The word "fear" as used in Proverbs 1 means reverence, so the reverence or respect of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. When I think of someone having a lot of knowledge, I think of someone who is very intelligent, who has lots of common sense as well as book knowledge. However, this verse found in the Proverbs of Solomon, refers to a different knowledge.

Solomon was the son of David and Bathsheba, who became king of God's people at a young age. When Solomon asked God for knowledge, he was not asking for a large amount of "book" knowledge. Rather, Solomon was asking to be able to tell right from wrong so that he would know how to govern God's people.

Thus, my interpretation of Proverbs 1:7 is that one must first respect and or admire the Lord before they are able to possess the knowledge of His ways. The Lord has given us certain rules to live by as Christians, as our love and reverence for Him grows so does our ability to know the way in which He would have us live our lives.
Solomon is known as being a wise king. That reputation began by his going to the Lord in prayer and asking for wisdom and understanding. Maybe we should take notes from Solomon and ask the Lord to grant us the knowledge to be able to distinguish between the things of God and the things of the world. And it wouldn't hurt to ask His help on "The Test" either.

Dear Lord, it is often hard to know what is right and what is wrong. I ask you to give me, and all the girls reading Tween Girls and God the understanding to know what you would have us do in living our daily lives. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Karen is a Christian wife, mother, and grandmother.  She is a retired teacher who now spends her time reading and writing.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print