How to be Spiritually Smart
by Karen White

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7 NKJV

The word "fear" in this scripture does not mean you are afraid of God. Instead, it means reverence or respect, so the respect of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. When I think of someone having a lot of knowledge, I think of someone who is very intelligent, who has lots of common sense as well as book knowledge. However, this verse found in the Proverbs of Solomon, refers to a different type of knowledge.
Solomon was the son of David and Bathsheba, who became king of God's people at a young age. When Solomon asked God for knowledge, he was not asking to be smarter and know more than anyone else. He was asking for wisdom in being able to tell his people what they should and shouldn't do. In other words, he wanted to know what is right and wrong.

It is hard sometimes to know what we should and shouldn't do. Sometimes the television tells us one thing is right our friends may say something different and our parents something else. It can be very confusing. But the Bible says if we are smart, we will respect and trust the Lord to show us right from wrong.

The Lord has given us certain principles to live by as Christians; the Bible tells us about them, and they teach them in church. The good news is that as our love and reverence for Him grows so does our ability to interpret the way in which He would have us live our lives.

The Bible tells us that Solomon was a wise king. That reputation began by his going to the Lord in prayer and asking for wisdom and understanding. Maybe we should take notes from Solomon and ask the Lord to grant us understanding so that we can tell the difference between right and wrong.

Dear Lord, it is often hard to distinguish right from wrong in today's world. I ask you to give me the understanding, and wisdom to know what you would have me do each day. In Jesus's name, amen.

Karen is a Christian wife, mother, and grandmother.  She is a retired teacher who now spends her time reading and writing.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print