Counting the Days
by PamFord Davis

"He is despised and rejected by men,
A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief (Isaiah 53:3a NKJV)."

While most of us anticipate the coming holidays, many others count the days with foreboding.

There will be empty chairs at their Thanksgiving dinners as well as places unfilled around Christmas trees. Grieving, worshipers will find vacant seating beside them at Candlelight Christmas Eve services.

The Christ of Christmas is well acquainted with sorrow.

"Then, when Mary came where Jesus was, and saw Him, she fell down at His feet, saying to Him, 'Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.'

Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled. And He said, 'Where have you laid him?'

They said to Him, 'Lord, come and see.'

Jesus wept (John 11:32-35 NKJV)."

Soon after, the LORD raised Lazarus (Mary's brother) from the dead.

In another instance, there was no happy ending

King Herod had John the Baptist, Jesus cousin, beheaded.

"So she, having been prompted by her mother, said, 'Give me John the Baptist's head here on a platter.'

And the king was sorry; nevertheless, because of the oaths and because of those who sat with him, he commanded it to be given to her. So he sent and had John beheaded in prison. And his head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she brought it to her mother. Then his disciples came and took away the body and buried it, and went and told Jesus.

When Jesus heard it, He departed from there by boat to a deserted place by Himself (Matthew 14:8-13a NKJV)."

He understands

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print