Full of Truth, Yet Full of Grace
by Dinora Garza

It's Sunday morning and as our pastor approaches the pulpit to greet us I find myself unexpectedly blessing him within my heart. Why does seeing him bring a good feeling? I know I'm in for a transforming message, yes, but that is not what makes me bless him. It is instead something about his character, his humble demeanor, and the way he addresses us every Sunday. If I were brave enough, I would approach him and ask him, "Teach me how to be like you." In my imaginary conversation, I know what his answer would be: "Just be like Jesus." I smile knowing it's truewhat I admire is not really him, but the character of Christ in him.

Here is a man who can tell us the harshest truths about ourselves, in love. Not even once has he used his position to scold, humiliate, or force us to think or act like him. He calls us to repentance always in grace, always in love he's a fine representation of the Prince of Peace.

He makes me realize I'm not there yet as a Christian. Way too many times I regretted being too straightforward in my approach. I've been one of those who thinks knowing the truth gives me the right to say it, even at the expense of grace and love. I'm afraid my behavior hasn't always matched that of my Savior, and I desperately want to do better. I want to be like Christ.

It is a remarkable thing that being God in the flesh, He never scolded sinners. Instead, he assures us He didn't come to judge, but to save. When James and John asked him, "Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?" he answered, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of." The One who holds the Truth doesn't use it as a pretext to deal harshly with us; to condemn, scold us or threaten us. Isn't it amazing that Almighty God doesn't force us to be like Him?

Yet I want to be like Him, and always be able to discern of what Spirit I'm of: a Spirit of grace, empathy, kindness and love toward others. I want His truth to shine not through my words, but through my deeds. I want to be like my pastor, and like the Pastor of my pastor: full of Truth, yet full of Grace

"For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. "

I am a Christian. My passion is to know the Lord, and help others to understand His character and will. Read one of my blogs at: onetruthonegod.wordpress.com


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print