God's Chosen Servants
by Ken Barnes

For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; (I Corinthians 1:26 NASB)

We all want to be significant, and we are all important in the eyes of our Creator. The problem is that we often seek our worth through the eyes of man. God uses ordinary people with hearts inclined toward His.

One Sunday I was asked to speak at a small church near my home in Virginia. I was greeted upon arrival that day by a man who then let me into the building. In small churches, you often have a pastor who does the preaching and the teaching and then an elder or deacon who does everything else. I sat down at the back of the church to review my notes for my sermon. The man busily went about making the coffee and setting out the snacks. He then took a small broom and a dustpan and proceeded to sweep-up between the rows of chairs set up for the service. As I watched this man, a question came into my mind. Lord, who is more valuable today for this service, him or me? As I pondered, the answer became clear to me. Neither, we had equal value just a different function. Then I asked the Lord a second question. Lord, who is most pleasing to you? The answer to the second question came quicker than the first. The one who does their part of the service with the greatest amount of love in their heart for God.

Sometimes we confuse value and function. We do not get value from what we do; we bring value to it as God's chosen servants.

I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print