Eating Disorders - Reaching Out For Help
by Laurie Glass

You may struggle with anorexia, bulimic, EDNOS, or binge eating. Perhaps you've gone from the behaviors of one eating disorder to another one. Regardless of the behaviors you've engaged in, please remember that you are not alone. Millions of people in this world feel they have to hide their eating disorder from others. The guilt and shame they feel causes them to isolate themselves. It doesn't have to be this way. While not everyone has to know about your eating disorder, it's unfair to deny yourself of valuable help and support. You don't have to do this alone.

In addition to seeing a counselor, there are eating disorder support groups available in some areas. If the resources in your area are limited, remember that there are also online counselors, support groups and message boards. While you need to be discerning about whom you share your personal struggle with, be willing to seek out that safe place to talk. Receiving help and support will be a vital part of your recovery journey.

There are partial hospitalization programs as well as inpatient programs if your eating disorder has put your health in serious jeopardy. While these options may be expensive and inconvenient, you can't put a price on your health or your life. Your worth reaches beyond any dollar sign.

In your heart, you may feel unworthy of others' help or even God's help, but the reality is that there's no reason you shouldn't get the support you need. You're a special person in this world with a special reason to be here. No matter how you feel sometimes, that will always be true.

Don't let the self-defeating thoughts and feelings rob you of the freedom that can be yours. God has a better life waiting for you. Not only can He speak in your heart and walk with you on this journey, but He can also speak through others to help you break free of your eating disorder. He doesn't expect you to fight this alone, but wants to use others to give you needed help and support. He wants to free you of your guilt and shame, heal you and lead you into a healthier life.

Laurie Glass has a Master of Ministry degree in Christian Counseling and is the author of Journey to Freedom from Eating Disorders.  She is a recovered anorexic who offers online Christian counseling services to adult women with eating disorders. See her website at http://freedomfromed.com/.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print