PURSUIT
by Stephen Kimball

Do you want to make a difference in your world but don’t know where to start? You need someone to look up to, someone who will set the example, and good role models are hard to find. I have known only a handful of people over my lifetime that qualify, but you are about to be introduced to a young man who was that difference maker. A young man who had a great effect on those he came into contact with. One cannot help but be inspired by the way he lived as witnessed by those he knew in this world who held him in the highest regard.

Just a freshman at the University of Florida when he passed away of natural causes, Landon Rogers lived his life to the fullest, making the most of every opportunity. He had a genuine love for God and for people that was apparent in everything he did, in every relationship and in every interaction. He was a rare soul, someone we can all look to for inspiration. I picture Landon welcoming friends into heaven for a long time - many who, like me, he has unknowingly touched, influenced and encouraged through a well lived life in pursuit of Jesus Christ, his savior and Lord. I invite you to read these short excerpts taken from Landon’s memorial page with care for they reveal the keys to living a satisfying, effective and blessed life.

FAITH

In high school, Landon put together and led a Bible study that was named PURSUIT which is an acronym standing for People United Reaching Students Under Invincible Truth with the tag line on the T-shirt being Romans 1:16 - "For I am Unashamed...".

Landon had this reminder printed on a whiteboard adorning his dorm room wall: "Don’t doubt Gods perfect will. Nothing is impossible with Jesus hands in the mix. Today is the day of salvation."

"One of my favorite things about Landon was that he was always telling people about Jesus, he was an amazing warrior for God."

LOVE, KINDNESS AND THOUGHTFULNESS

"On my birthday, Landon surprised me with a bowl of my favorite cereal He was so thoughtful all the time, never angry or sad, but always joyful and enthusiastic."

His sister remembered: "I can still see him waiting with a glass of water adorned with a lemon slice and a straw, as I finished a long run. He would just hand it to me and say 'good job'. Its simple, and there is nothing really special about that moment, but it means a lot to me."

Speaking of Landon and his two sisters: "I have never seen young siblings be this much in harmony with each other, like three parts of a song"

"He showed unending forgiveness and grace for others. Above all else, he showed love and kindness that never once faltered."

"Kind is in every memory." "He really believed that it was imperative to treat others with kindness, and that just never wavered."

"When I came down with the flu, Landon came in my room with a wet wash cloth and laid it on my forehead hoping to make me feel better. Landon stepped into my life caring for me just like family and I loved him for that."

"If he noticed you weren’t feeling your best, then he would come up to you and talk to you about it."

ATTITUDE AND HAPPINESS

"He lived a life not allowing the little things to ruin his day or affect his mood."

"I remember his fun-loving, ever present smile."

CHARACTER

"I am amazed at the impact Landon had on me and that is a huge testament to his character and presence, his spirit just radiated genuine goodness."

Landon himself wrote in his journal: "I want to be someone who if they say they are going to do something then they will always follow up on their word and do it. I want my word to be concrete, like perfectly true."

A former coach writes of Landon: "This guy epitomized everything we should be and if we had more people in the world like him, the world would be a much better place than it is."

INSPIRATION

"Landon inspires us all to be kinder, more compassionate, goal oriented, selfless people." I am grateful and humbled for the wonderful testament he is to faith and love of his fellow man."

To encourage one friend Landon said: "God has everything in His hands. If you work harder, your dreams will come true."

"In his life and even in his death, I feel like he’s pushing me to be a better person."

PRIORITIES

"Here is everything you need to know about Landon: Jesus first, others second."

"Landon lived by a simple acronym: JOY - JESUS, OTHERS, YOURSELF. This always kept his priorities straight."

"He lived a life centered around others and put himself last. I knew he lived a very rewarding and satisfying life. Landon cherished every moment and left a positive mark every place he went."

HUMILITY

"One day we went out to the field to play ultimate frisbee. When we got there Landon said: 'Throw it and I'll see if I can chase it down and catch it.' Wow did he ever go, he was fast and caught up to that disc in a jiffy. I guess it would have been less impressive if I knew he was a varsity quarterback and Lacrosse player but he was so humble he never even mentioned it until we asked."

After receiving a prestigious award from his school, Landon wrote in his journal: "I got Ram of the year which was exciting. Today I am reminded satisfaction does not come in a word, and it does not come in a person’s praise, it comes in the fact that Jesus is with you."

Take an extra moment to get a closer glimpse at Landon via the following article from The Alligator, the student newspaper of the University of Florida.

http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/article_aa6dbe32-926e-11e5-937a-1bc9c91f6536.html



To contact or read more poems and articles by Stephen please go to: http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=68560

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print