What is the Peace of God, and Why Do I Need It?
by stephanie reck

 

The name of God means peace (Shalom) in Hebrew. Isaiah 9:6, says Jesus is the “Prince of peace. “The peace of God transcends all of our human understanding (Philippians 4:7), and His peace is not like the world’s peace. God’s peace comes when we realize that He is in full control.

Peace is an inner state of contentment and tranquility regardless of circumstances. True peace does not take pain away, but there can be an inner peace or calmness that only comes from Jesus Christ, this peace is unexplainable in human terms.

The closer we draw to Jesus, the more we will experience His peace. Running to the feet of Jesus when you experience hardships and trials can usher in God’s peace quickly.

Certain attitudes you have can destroy your peace with God, such as believing God will fulfill ALL of your wants-this will inevitably led to discouragement. Not trusting God and living anxious, fearful and lacking faith can hinder the peace of God. Imagine waking up every day and going through your day anxious, worried, and full of disbelief; do you think you will experience all of God’s peace? No, because God wants you to trust Him completely. When you choose worry over having faith, God’s peace can be quickly extinguished from our lives.

When you refuse to allow changing circumstances to dictate your contentment and instead be grounded upon the goodness, faithfulness and love God has for you; peace will come. When you make the Lord your refuge, your shelter in times of trouble-His peace is promised (Psalm 91).

To experience greater levels of peace:

  1. Don’t focus and rehearse all of your problems. Yes, they are there and yes it feels good to talk about our problems to anyone who will listen, but when we repeatedly talk and talk about our problems with no solutions; we lose our peace. CHOOSE to FOCUS on God’s word and His promises. Is this hard to do when you are experiencing difficulties? Yes, but if you keep FOCUSING on what is right and good your perspective will eventually change and God’s peace will fill you.
  2. Trust God completely. Don’t worry that God will not come through for you, or that He will be too late. God’s timing is perfect, and He is faithful. God cares about all that concerns you, and there is no need to take matters into your own hands because you believe God is just too slow in acting on your behalf.
  3. After you pray over your situations, give thanks for the answers that WILL come, and then rest. That’s right, rest. Don’t mull over the problems that you just prayed to God, but cast those cares to Him (1 Peter 5:7). If those nagging thoughts pop-up like, “God’s not really working on your behalf” or “I don’t see anything getting better,” give the situation back to God as many times as you need to until you experience peace.

Peace in God comes with a condition-you must trust God and surrender control. The absence of God’s peace is anxiety, worry, fear, stress, and/or confusion. God’s peace will be diminished if we are going along our own way not seeking His will or what He desires.



Stephanie R. Reck, LMSW, LBT, BCCC
Stephanie Reck, Coaching & Consultation Services
www.stephaniereck.com
[email protected]
Stephanie Reck Coaching & Consultation Services, @2024
Author of, "Disciplining Your Mind 30 Days to a Better You!"

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print