California Veggies
by PamFord Davis

Do you frequent roadside summertime produce stands? Those of us who live in milder climates have an advantage; we have much longer availability. Maybe you grow your own fresh vegetables in a back yard garden or are involved in a community garden. Over the years, my husband (a vegetarian) has planted both small and large gardens.

I have both sentiment and satisfaction in my California veggie experiences.

First, the sentiment…  We lived in Devore Canyon (and my Dad lived nearby briefly). Together, we worked a plot of land in a San Bernardino community garden. We had a bumper crop of sweet corn and several varieties of squash. To put it mildly, Dad enjoyed the sweet corn. He rehashed corn stories so often that he irritated Mom!

My other California story focuses on cauliflower. A friend asked if we would be interested in getting free cauliflower. Free is good. Cauliflower is tasty. It seems a farmer had gathered all he needed from his field. Before plowing the rest under, he made an offer for local ‘you pick’ gatherers. We took him up on his offer and we were ‘satisfied.’

“When you reap the harvest of your land, you are not to reap to the very edge of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. You must not strip your vineyard bare or gather its fallen grapes. Leave them for the poor and the foreign resident; I am Yahweh your God (Leviticus 19:9-10 HCSB).”

 

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print