Grace Abounds
by Ken Barnes

But go, tell His disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see Him, just as He told you.’” (Mark 16:7 NASB)

Peter was the disciple that seemingly failed the Lord more than any of the other disciples at His death. The angel singled him out for the message of the Lord’s resurrection. Why? When sin abounds, more so does grace (Romans 5: 20 NASB).

Would it not have seemed right for Jesus, based on their conduct, to have singled out one of the other disciples, possibly James or John? How might Peter have been feeling? Possibly, like he was no longer was worthy to be called His disciple? How may the other disciples have been looking upon Peter? Perhaps, he had disqualified himself from being among their group. God, unlike us humans, always makes room for repentance. When Jesus first revealed Himself to Peter, it must have been somewhat traumatic. I can only imagine; he looked into the eyes of the one he had miserably failed, expecting an overwhelming sense of guilt. But Peter feels only loved and accepted. It is the first time in days that he has looked into someone’s face that knows everything about him and yet he felt no shame. He realizes that it is Christ first pursuing him instead of him pursuing Christ. Grace has swallowed up guilt, and once again mercy has triumphed over judgment.

The disciple that may have been viewed by himself and by others as disqualified rose to the top three in the Lord’s leadership team. The next time you are tempted to consider a person unqualified for leadership, be careful, God may be ready to show us again, where sin abounds, more so does grace.

 



I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print