FIRST, PRAY
by Jerry Smith

"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men... " (1Timothy 2:1, KJV).
.
(A) CONTEXT
.
After a lengthy introduction in chapter 1, Paul begins to instruct Timothy regarding his role in the church with an exhortation.
.
Paul begins his exhortation with, "first of all," indicating a the priority is... PRAYER.
.
Paul uses four words relative to prayer:
.
1. Supplications [deesis], or urgent pleading; petitioning
.
2. Prayers [proseuche], or sharing with God
.
3. Intercessions [enteuxis], or urgent pleading on behalf of, for someone, and
.
4. Giving of thanks, thankfulness for [eucharistia].
.
(B) FAITH LESSON
.
(i) Paul instructs Timothy to FIRST, pray.
.
If you are going to minister to the saints . . . first, pray (1 Timothy 4:6).
.
If you are going to witness to the lost . . . first, pray (2 Timothy 4:5).
.
If you are going to teach people . . . first, pray (2 Timothy 2:25).
.
(ii) If we would follow Paul's instruction to Timothy, we would:
.
'Petition' God for people around us.
.
'Share' with God about the situations of others around us.
.
'Intercede' for others who do not know enough to pray.
.
'Give thanks' to God for the people around us.
.
(C) LIFE APPLICATION
.
How often do I truly do this?
.
How often is my prayer time spent on me and mine?
.
How often do I spend time praying for people beyond my little world?
.
How often do I intercede in prayer for those around me?



Jerry is a bi-vocational, helping pastor-teacher, Christian life coach, TESOL trainer & manager, author, and freelance writer, with degrees in Christian education, teaching-English, business, theology, and divinity, currently residing in the Philippines. His interests include practical theology.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print