The Breakfast of Champions 4 - Foreknowledge
by Jerry Ousley

            We had gone on a fishing trip.  It wasn’t a far trip; just down to the river behind our house but for three pre-teen boys it was none-the-less an excursion.  Of course we had vivid imaginations and could make a walk through the woods an adventure in those days.

 

            My brother, cousin and I arrived at the river and wanting to be as much like adults as we possible we mimicked what we had seen our dads do when we were allowed to go fishing with them, and spaced ourselves like we were staking out claims.  There was a bend in the river and so my brother went one way around the bend and my cousin went the other way leaving me in the middle.  We fished for what seemed like hours but probably was no more than thirty to forty-five minutes when I got bored and went to check on my brother.  We talked for a few moments when he snagged a fish and pulled it in.  It wasn’t a very big fish but being boys almost anything was considered to be a “keeper” so he put it in the basket and slipped it back into the water.

 

            I returned to my own pole to make sure that I wasn’t getting a bite when my cousin sauntered over.  Truth be known he was most likely a little bored too.  “Caught anything?” he asked.  “Nope.”  “I wonder if Ken has caught anything, I bet he hasn’t” he added.  Now I knew that my brother had caught a fish because I had seen him reel it in.  I was about to tell my cousin that he had when he blurted out, “I’d bet twenty-five dollars that he hasn’t caught anything.”   For me it was a sure bet.  However I knew that none of the three of us had possessed more than five dollars at a time up until that point in our lives.  But I couldn’t resist so I said, “You’re on!”  I knew that I wasn’t going to have to pay my allowance for the rest of my life to cover that bet.

 

            We walked over to my brother and my cousin asked, “Had any luck?”  My brother took a suspicious look at me and then proudly held up his catch.  In disbelief my cousin looked at me and I knew he was wondering how he was ever going to cover that bet.  Of course since I had the foreknowledge that my brother had caught the fish I let my cousin “off the hook.”

 

            In Numbers 14:6-9 we read how Joshua and Caleb were trying to encourage the people of Israel against the discouraging words of the other ten spies.  The fourth thing they had on their side was foreknowledge.  They knew what God had told them.

 

            Of course the land was full of hostile people.  They had no intentions of just letting the Israeli people waltz in and take their land.  They were going to fight for it.  But God had said that this land belonged to His people – to the Children of Israel.  God had told them that He would go before them and fight for them.  Joshua and Caleb had this inside knowledge and really so did all the rest of the people.  I guess the difference was that Joshua and Caleb believed what God had told them.

 

            In serving the Lord today we also possess foreknowledge.  In fact we’ve got a whole book full of promises and instructions in the Bible – the Word of God.  He has told us that He will be with us.  He has promised us a home in Heaven.  We can read about how that He will bless us as a result of serving Him.    All we’ve got to do is to make sure that we’re eating the breakfast of champions.



Jerry D. Ousley is the author of ?Soul Challenge?, ?Soul Journey?, ?Ordeal?, ?The Spirit Bread Daily Devotional and his first novel ?The Shoe Tree.?  Visit our website at spiritbread.com to download these and more completely free of charge.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print