THE PASSION OF JESUS CHRIST
by Dr Surya Kumar Daimari

 

“And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground” Luke 22:44 NIV

The Passion of Jesus Christ in the garden of Gethsemane is one of the most profound and moving portrayals of Jesus’ grief and concern for each one of us. The tears of compassion seen in the tears of Jesus Christ which is more than just empathy calls for our clear understanding of a Savior who sacrificed himself for us and also for the whole world.
…..His sweat was like drops of blood….. Luke 22:44
Remember, Luke was a doctor. He explained things from medical point of view. Luke 22:44 is one such where he applies his medical explanation. It has been said by medical doctors that it is medically possible that a person sweat blood under extreme mental pressure or agony . I believe, Dr. Frederick Zugible is right when he says, “Around the sweat gland, there are multiple blood vessels in a net-like form. Under the pressure of great stress the vessels constrict. Then as the anxiety passes the blood vessels dilate to the point of rupture. The blood goes into the sweat glands. As the sweat glands are producing a lot of sweat, it pushes the blood to the surface coming out of as droplets of blood mixed with sweat.” The term is called, “Hematridrosis or Hemohidrosis”.
The description of Dr. Luke on the sufferings of Jesus our Lord is therefore, perfectly logical and gives us a thought to ponder over how Jesus had suffered physically, mentally and spiritually for our salvation ! More than this , oh, it was the pangs of separation from the Father. It’s true, it was indescribably painful and incredible!

Gethsemane is assumed to mean “press of oils”, but Jerome also connected it with “valley of oils” or “fertile valley” and may be correct in hinting that it was in a valley in which there were many olive trees. In Luke 22:44, we can see the spiritual pains of Jesus. The word “Gethsemane” in Hebrew means “to crush out the oil”. It is to say that the Holy Spirit is crushed out of His life.
“Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer…” Isaiah 53:10
It’s true , He suffered and laid down His own life only for you and me that we may have life and have it abundantly John 10:10. Do you believe this?



Name of the Author of this article: Dr. Surya Kumar Daimari, MA,M.Ed, PGDTE,D.Min.(Doctor of Ministry)
The author is a freelance writer.
Book published: The Names of the Believers in the Bible in Types and Symbols .
https://outskirtspress.com/thenamesofthebelieversinthebible

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print