MARRIAGE, THE COVENANT RELATIONSHIP
by Rik Charbonneaux

A proper biblical context for the love between a married coupe is to be a "knowing" kind of love, a covenantial love, as based on Gensis 4:1 KJV "And Adam knew Eve his wife;". The Hebrew tern Yada` [know]* is used by Moses here in the context of a covenant relationship. This covenant basis is again empahisised again by Moses in Gen 2:24 KJV "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.". Marriage is the making of a relationship that should not be broken.

Further, to "know each other" under this coventant relationship of marriage requires a minimum expectation that both parties will have equal respect and consideration for the other and that both will remain exclusively dedicated to the other's best interests for the duration of their life together. That God holds all married couples accountable for these coventantial expectations is well portrayed by the bible verse: "Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant. KJV Mal 2:14. Under His covanent provision enabling marriage, we are to be faithful in all circumstances.

In light of the context of the aforementioned, a marriage based upon a coventantial relationship, that pleases our loving God, cannot fail, and although America's national statistics may indicate a failing institution of marriage, it is very much alive and well among the majority of believers. It will continue to be so, given that 20% of our freicely independent Millenils now indicae wanting to start a menainful life through marrige when they reach 30 years of age, . As married believers, from decade to decade, contiinue in their heartfelt coventantial compliance to God and themselves, they are a light to the future for all who seek of the permanence and joy that only marriage can bring. And hopefully, through prayer, so it shall go.

* The Hebrew Word "(yada‘) As a Covenant Term in the Bible and the Ancient Near East by Tim Hegg • TorahResource.Com

http://torahresource.com/EnglishArticles/Yada_as_Covenant_Term.pdf



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print