The River of Life
by Don Pedal

Solomon, in Eccl 1:9, is the source of the common statement, "There is nothing new under the sun".

This statement suggests that life is like a whirlpool --- what goes around comes around. That view leaves us with a feeling of hopelessness, frustration and maybe depression. We may think this is all there is --- daily dreariness and loss of hope that any of it will ever change. It is no wonder that we hear so much about alcoholism, drug addiction, pills to sleep, pills to wake up, etc. Is there any hope that we can change the course of our life and destiny? If there is hope, what steps do we have to take to take to bring it about?

Is it possible that life is more like a river --- water flowing by all the time? This view would suggest that time and our life is linear --- new and fresh each morning. Each day brings new opportunities to serve, bless and enjoy others in the beautiful world in which God has placed us. What are some steps we can take to reach others?

We can begin by thanking our God for all the blessings He has given us. So many blessings we take for granted in the rush of life. We live in one of the most prosperous nations in the world. We are free to worship as we please in safety and peace. We are free to pursue our occupations using the natural talents God has given us, and to climb as high as our talents take us. These are but a few of the things we might think about.

You are a unique human being, created by God to walk a special path with Him, as you fulfill the special destiny He has for you. Your talents and abilities are part of who you are and so your needs will be different from those around you. Our enemy, Satan, is always ready to oppose us and may tempt us to compare our blessings and abilities with those whom we think are more favored by God. Beware of this deception and immediately focus your attention back to the work at hand.

What areas are you trying to reach? Are you trying to reach members of your family, community, church, foreign missions or maybe your social group? These are just a few. Each area requires a different approach, but remember, we do not walk life's path alone. God is there, ready to help you succeed, when you pray during your quiet time, and present you needs.

Consider what talents and assets do you have? What do you enjoy doing? We sometimes think that if we enjoy some task it must not be from God --- that is not true. Our greatest joy comes from pleasing God as we walk the unique path He has planned for us.

Sometimes, as we look at the tasks ahead, we become overwhelmed and feel that they are far more than we can accomplish with our meager abilities. Do not be discouraged! All of us are weak in some area of our lives. It is actually a blessing as we realize our weakness is no surprise to God. He is ready to strengthen and guide us to accomplish the tasks planned for us.

The river of life is flowing past us each day. Although it looks the same, it is not. The water that flowed by yesterday is different water. Think of that in terms of opportunities flowing by daily to reach out and help others as our Lord guides us.

We have three choices in life. They are --- yes, no and I will think about it.                                   If we say yes, we are on our way to the greatest blessing of our life as we serve our living, loving God and our fellow travelers in this life.

If we say no, we might want to reconsider our decision while the choice is here, now. If you still practice a quiet time with our Lord, ask Him to strengthen you as you reconsider your decision.

A decision to think about it usually leads to procrastination. The temptation in procrastination leads to a creeping indifference. We begin to feel that we are not that important and sure, that someone else will take care of the problem. God does not bless indifference.

We live on the knife-edge of NOW! Make your decision now! Tomorrow may be too late.

 



As a senior citizen, I am dedicated to serving the Lord through sharing my experiences and insights with other believers. My primary focus is upon being an disciple of Jesus and, in being one, I can help others to find their spiritual way also. 
This article is original and not copywrited

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print