Praying Through the Scriptures - John 1
by

Lord, Jesus, the Word of God, the One who was with God in the beginning, how awesome it must have been to be the One through whom all things were created. Your life is the light of man that shines in the darkness and cannot be overcome by it.

O God, you sent John to bear witness to Jesus, to tell people that Jesus was coming into the world. Jesus did come. Help me, Father, to also be a witness, to tell people that Jesus came, that he was rejected by his people, and was crucified, but you raised him from the dead. Help me to tell people that all who received Jesus, who believed in his name, to them he gave the right to become your children, not children from the will of the flesh or the will of man, but children of your will, O God.

Thank you, Father, for sending Jesus to become flesh and dwell on this earth, so we could see his glory, full of grace and truth. From his fullness, Father, we have received grace upon grace, for grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has seen you, God, but Jesus has made you known.

Help me, Lord Jesus, to know more of you and your Father. Help me to know what pleases God, what makes him smile or laugh. Help me to know him.

Heavenly Father, as John the Baptist fully acknowledged that he was not the Christ, but was simply one preparing the way for him, help me also to always keep Jesus Christ on the throne of my life. Help me to prepare the way for Jesus so that others may readily come to him. Let my words and my deeds point the way to him. Help me to never think of myself more highly than I ought, and never to lose sight of the fact that Jesus is One, as John said, "whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose."

O Father, thank you for acknowledging your Son in such a public way, as you did when John baptized him, sending your Spirit in the form of a dove to rest upon him. Father, John saw and testified that Jesus was the "Son of God." Many believed his testimony. Let my testimony, O God, be such that when people hear me speak, they will, as Andrew and Peter did, follow Jesus.

Lord Jesus, you told Andrew and Peter to "come and see." Just as you invited them to see what you're all about, so you have invited me. Thank you, Lord. Help me to do as Andrew and Phillip did and tell my relatives and friends that I have found the Messiah.

Please help me, God, not to be cynical like Nathaniel, but, like Nathaniel, to have no deceit in me. Thank you for helping me to recognize Jesus as your Son. Help me now to always confess publicly, as Nathaniel did, that Jesus is your Son, the King of Israel.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2007, Star Ferdinand.

Star Ferdinand is the author of The Prayerful Bible Study Series of study guides, numerous devotionals, and other Christian writings. You can read more of her writings at starferdinand.wordpress.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print