Knowing the Knowable
by Ken Barnes

“The Lord our God has secrets known to no one. We are not accountable for them, but we and our children are accountable forever for all that he has revealed to us, so that we may obey all the terms of these instructions.(Deuteronomy 29: 29 NLT)

In God’s infinite wisdom he has information known only to him. The Lord loves for us to use our intellect to seek out wisdom from him, but if the pursuit becomes to obtain knowledge just for the sake of knowing, it becomes meaningless.

Yes, God does delight in us seeking out hidden things (Proverbs 25:2 NLT). In our quest for truth, there is a point where we can cross that line between what we can know and what is unknowable. God does have secret counsels and trying to explain them is an exercise in futility. About God’s foreknowledge and man’s freedom, it appears that the Bible does not entirely clarify their relationship. What God has not completely explained, maybe we should not expect to totally understand. Being overly inquisitive about such issues can be just an intellectual rather than a spiritual pursuit.

Pastor Alistair Begg has often said, “The main things are the plain things, and the plain things are the main things.”   Dwelling on things that cannot be entirely known never leads us to obedience and often divide Christians instead of uniting us. You cannot obey what you do not know. Obedience should be the result of all revealed truth. Dwelling on the minute details of our faith can often lead us to miss the main thing, knowing God and making him known. Trying to know the unknowable can result in us missing the plain thing, the ultimate command to take the Gospel into all the world.



I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print