His Eye Is on the Chipmunk
by Alan Allegra

We live in the ideal location: lots of trees, good soil, pleasant climate, plenty of food, peace and quiet; it is the ideal environment — for chipmunks!

Chippies are so cute — and so destructive. They have caused thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to our property, so we have decided they have to go. We couldn’t entreat them to leave, get a restraining order, or pawcuff them, and we don’t want to kill them, so we bought a humane trap that allows us to exile them to a better place (with the owner’s permission, of course!).

We tempt the critters into the trap with a handful of yummy seed, then SNAP! the trap slams shut and the chipster cannot escape.

It’s hard to watch the little fellow struggle, but we know he will be free in a matter of minutes. If the captives only knew that, they could relax and wait. (Believe it or not, when I started this sentence — SNAP!)

Have you ever heard the sudden SNAP! of a trap? It may be the result of giving in to a yummy temptation (Proverbs 29:6: “An evil man is ensnared in his transgression, but a righteous man sings and rejoices.”). Perhaps it’s the deluged basement, the double-dealing spouse, the deflated bank account, or the dire prognosis. Whatever it is, you suddenly feel trapped and desperate.

Unlike the panicked chipmunk, the child of God can know that God is watching and will release us in due time.

Many of us are familiar with the classic hymn, “His Eye Is on the Sparrow.” It is a song of comfort based on Jesus’s words in Matthew 10:29-31, “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” If the Father notices a tiny sparrow falling to the ground, an unusual and frightening situation for a bird, He certainly is aware of the distress of one of His children.

God sees us struggling in our trap and pities us. He does not want to destroy us but move us to a place of stronger faith and, ultimately, to a better location. “In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire — may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 1:6-7). “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

He knows we will be released, and He knows when we are ready to be released (Romans 5:3-5; James 5:11). When you hear that SNAP!, know that there is a huge Person whose hand will reach down and carry you off to higher ground.



Alan is editor of Lifestyles Over 50 (Thrive Media) and contributor to the Allentown, PA, Morning Call. He is also an adult Sunday school teacher and Bible study leader. Passionate about reviving theology and church methodology, and being a senior citizen!

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print