Hairdo
by PamFord Davis

I have a new look; it was long overdue.

I saw a hairdresser on Friday morning.

Walla… I have a new hairdo!

The experience triggered memories of my Mom. She was a whiz with barber shearers and a set of clippers. Though there was no barber pole on the front of our house, everyone knew she cut hair. Grandpa Ford, Dad and my brother Gary rarely entered a barber shop.  She cut the hair of my sisters, mine and the hair of neighbors.

Mom gave all the boys in the neighborhood brush cuts at the first signs of summer. The style for girls was easy to care for; short with bangs. By the time I reached my teen years, her clientele had expanded. The mothers of my out of town girlfriends brought their daughters to my house for haircuts. 

Mom’s biggest challenge came when cutting the coarse, thick and long hair of one of my adult cousins. The repeated working of the scissors actually led to blisters on Mom’s hands. Absalom, son of King David learned that long hair can lead to problems.

“When he shaved his head—he shaved it every year because his hair got so heavy for him that he had to shave it off—he would weigh the hair from his head and it would be five pounds according to the royal standard (2 Samuel 14:26 HCSB).”

While riding a mule, Absalom came to an oak tree; his animal rode off leaving him stranded. Sadly, the famed hair of his head was caught in branches of the tree.

Found by foes, Absalom lost his life. 

 

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print