5 Reasons You are not being Stupid When You Forgive
by Tai Ikomi

5 ReasonsYou are not being Stupid when you Forgive

The road to letting our offenders go may have several difficult roadblocks. One such roadblock is when we think that the offender feels he has outsmarted us and that we are stupid.  That hurts. Perhaps he shared some information about you that has irreparably damaged you. Or maybe he did something bad to you and here you are, called upon to forgive by God. This can make you feel stupid. However, remember that letting go is not being stupid. Why? Let us consider some of the reasons.

1.      Forgiveness adheres to the advice of the all-wise God.

When you forgive your offender, he might think you are being stupid, but the truth of the matter is that you are not. Not by a long shot. Yes, what is most important for you is the fact that you are obeying the commandment of the all-wise God. Therefore, you cannot possibly be considered as stupid in this situation. This is a logical conclusion. Remember that.

But he said, Yea rather, blessed [are] they that hear the word of God, and keep it (Luke 11:28).

2.      Remember the need for your own forgiveness

Second, while the blood of Jesus is the only means by which God can forgive us, there is a factor that may hinder your forgiveness as a born again Christian. God will forgive you your sins to the extent that you forgive others. If you do not forgive, your sins will not be forgiven. The forgiveness of your sins is a blessing that is too great to place a price on. Losing it could lead to illnesses, sicknesses, and diseases. The effectualness of your prayers might be lessened. Perhaps God will withhold His mercy from you just as withheld mercy from your offender by not letting him go. The spiritual repercussions of not forgiving are too great.

But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses (Mark 11:26).

3.      You are obeying God’s direct command

Third, in letting go, you are obeying a direct order from the Lord. In refusing to do so, you are not truly in awe of His commandment. Your decision to forgive irrespective of how people look at you is the wisest decision to make.  If you think calling fear of God stupid, think again. (Proverbs 14:27).

4.      The positive effect on your emotions

Fourth, letting your offender go will bring untold blessings to your emotional being.  In forgiving your offender, your anger against them turns into relief. Furthermore, once you forgive someone, the pain disappears. The hurt you feel when someone offends you is tied to the offense, so when you release or forgive, you also let go of the pain associated with the offender. If anyone thinks this is being stupid, they need to reassess their thought process. The peace, the joy, and the relief you experience are benefits worth more than gold (Psalms 19:8).

5.      The positive effect on your health

Fifth, when you forgive, you are doing your health a world of good. The negative emotions that are associated with being unforgiving release stress chemicals that attack your immune system, which in turn can lead to various health problems or conditions like heart attacks, cancer, high blood pressure, and so on. When you forgive, you are not being stupid; you are being wise. You will reap the benefits of this wisdom and remain in good health.

A merry heart doeth good [like] a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones (Proverbs 17:22).

Forgiveness Prayer

Lord, help me to realize that being forgiving equates to being wise, because I am following the advice of the all-wise God. May my focus be on you and your word instead of on the opinion of other people, in Jesus’ name.

Discussion

  1. Have the opinions of other people ever influenced your decision or ability to forgive? What happened?
  2. Have you ever had to remind yourself it is wise to forgive? What were the circumstances?
  3. Have you noticed improvements in your mental or physical health after forgiving?
  4. What has this chapter taught you about God?

 



Dr. Tai Ikomi is an author of over 30 books .and a conference speaker. She gives seminars on the Names of God and forgiveness after forgiving the drunk man who killed her entire family. She is the founder of Forgiveness Discipleship.

Dr. Tai Ikomi
[email protected]
www.forgivenessdiscipleship.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print