Dethroning the Ruling Counselors
by Monica Uwajeh

There once was a prince and a princess in a kingdom. They were to rule someday together with their father the king. The kingdom also had thousands of counselors. They lived in houses adjoining the palace. Every day prince and the princess went from house to house seeking the law of the land. They had a book full of laws and principles, but some of them seemed unclear. Of all the counselors Mr. and Mrs. Practical were favorites the prince and the princess. These two would look at a law and decide how to apply it based on the situation at hand. For example, the law of the kingdom said that every citizen had to pay a twenty percent tax for its upkeep.

When they read the law about the tax, they wanted to obey it, but Mr. and Mrs. Practical said, "This doesn't apply to you. The king is your father."

The prince and princess listened to them, but something nudged their hearts. But every time they asked Mr. and Mrs. practical kept saying no. Any time the rulers put up a fight. The two counselors would say, "We're I just trying to make sure the people respect your position."

The prince and princess would simply walk away with their eyes wide and clouded and their shoulders slumped.

One day, the nudge was so persistent that the prince and princess went to their treasury and gave twenty percent of their golden coins to their father's treasury. Mr. and Mrs. Practical saw them and said, "Do you want the people to think you're just like them?"

"No", the prince and the princess said. "We just want to obey our father."

"Your father will love you either way," the counselors said.

"We'll feel better if we do what the law book says," they said. "Besides, it will be better for the kingdom."
"You do plenty for the kingdom just by being so gracious," Mr. and Mrs. Practical said.

"Thank you, but we love our father and the kingdom so much we want to do more," the prince and princess said.

"You been talking to Ms. Faith, haven't you?" They said.

"This has nothing to do with her or anyone else," the prince and the princess declared. "This is about obeying our father."

"Okay, but don't come crying to us when the people don't respect you anymore," Mr. and Mrs. Practical said.

"We don't care what they or anyone else think, " the prince and the princess said.

Mr. and Mrs. Practical stomped away, realizing they had been dethroned.

Some time later, the king brought the prince and the princess to his throne room. In front of them, they saw the treasury, and it was empty. Then their father said, "Bring the royal garments. His servants brought the prince and the princess long robes the color of freshwater pearls.

My name is Monica Uwajeh. I usually write short stories and poetry. However, I recently felt led to write this devotional. My email address is [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print