Basic Science Lesson
by Jan Ross

"God made two great lights--the greater light to govern [to rule; to have dominion over] the day [continually] and the lesser light to govern [to rule; to have dominion over] the night [darkness]. He also made the stars." (Genesis 1:16 NIV)

Deeply enfolded in the very beginning of creation's account we find a picture that bears consideration it has to do with light.

Before man became a living, breathing being, God had His people in mind. The record of God's creation of the "greater light" and "lesser light" seem to prove this out. Bear with me as I attempt to articulate this truth.

Anyone who has taken a class in science understands basic principles about the sun and the moon, about light and darkness, and how they all relate to one another.

Let me explain. The sun never goes out, it is simply hidden from portions of the earth allowing the earth to "sleep". But, the moon is not just a "little sun" in the sky. In and of itself, the moon has no light it only reflects the light of the sun.

Darkness covered the face of the earth, but the light of the sun chased the darkness away, proving light dispels darkness.

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12 NIV)

He also said, "apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5 NIV)

Without Jesus, we have no light. But, we can reflect His light and "have the light of life", dispelling the darkness of this world. But failing to follow Him leaves us unable to be lightunable to reflect His light in the world around us.

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." (1 John 1:5-7 NIV)

It's all about staying close to the Light. And, it will show if we're not. We can "say" we have fellowship with Christ, but there if there is no light in us, we're not being truthful with ourselves or with others. We walk into a room of "darkness" and blend in, shrouded by the darkness (sin) that surrounds us. But if we truly walk in His light, we can walk into a room of "darkness" and we will stand outwe will be different, and noticeably so.

There is no room for incognito Christianity. Genesis 1:16 calls us the "lesser light" as we reflect the Light of the sun/Son. But our job is to "govern the night". We are living in the "night" in a world of darkness and we're to bring light to the darkness, overpower the darkness with the light we reflect from the Son.

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." (1 Peter 2:9 NIV)

We've been called out of the darkness of this world to walk in the marvelously wonderful light of Christ, reflecting His glory (light), as "a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation".

Let your light shine reflect the glory of the Son of God and dispel the darkness that surrounds you. Don't hide His light; don't be afraid to let Him shine through you.

Be a Light-bearer to this sin-sick world and "let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16 KJV)

God bless

Jan Ross 2007

Jan Ross, President and Co-Founder of Heart of God International Ministries, is a passionate and outspoken defender of the Word of Truth and the Great Commission. http://heartofgodinternational.com. For more devotional material by Jan, please take a moment to visit www.hgdevotions.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print