Spend Time in the Word
by Rev. Dr. R.J. Lightsey

2 Timothy 2:15

Study and do your best to present yourself to God approved, a workman [tested by trial] who has no reason to be ashamed, accurately handling and skillfully teaching the word of truth (Amplified Bible).

For some born again believers, one of the most difficult and challenging things to do is to remain constant and committed to spending time in prayer and in God’s Word. Certainly we are often challenged by a multitude of excuses: not enough time, feeling tired, errands to run, children to care for, work we have brought home to finish, a spouse that needs your attention, or just plain procrastination. No doubt, there are many other excuses that can be added to this list. However, the bottom line is - we need to “excuse our excuses.”

In 2 Timothy 2:15, the seasoned apostle Paul encourages the young pastor Timothy to spend time studying God’s Word so that he could present himself (without shame) as a workman who could accurately handle and skillfully teach the truth. Not only was that instruction for Timothy in days gone by, but the lesson rings loud and clear today for each and every believer in the royal family. Time, effort, commitment, and zeal are required to press into God’s Word and desire to take what you glean from the Holy Spirit to teach and encourage others in the body and win souls to the kingdom. Spending time in the Word is a definite requirement for spiritual growth and maturity.

But “spending time in the Word,” goes much further and means much more than simply reading scripture. Notice that Paul tells Timothy to “study and present yourself to God as a workman.” We must come to God prepared to be of service. Yes, He accepts us as we are when it comes to salvation, but we must present ourselves as vessels who have put in the required work and preparation to be effectively and skillfully used by the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ committed to spending time with the Father on a daily basis and realized that the time spent was not only needed to “talk to the Father” but also to prepare for the next mission at hand.

In order for our testimony, witness, and teaching to have full effect, we must spend time studying (right dividing) God’s Word. That means more than just reading the words. It means reading and understanding to the point that God speaks something(s) you are compelled to and eager to share with others. You know your teaching will be effective – not because of who you are or what you know, but because you are empowered by the Holy Spirit to accomplish all that God sends you out to do and you are confident, yet humbled that God’s Word will accomplish all that He (God) sends it out to do. You realize you are a vessel that has been prepared for service through sincere study and prayer which leads to accurately handling and skillfully teaching the Word of truth.  



www.lightseyministries.org

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print