The Tears of Jeremiah
by Susan Ferguson

“It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23, NIV)

Do you ever wonder if your work for God is doing any good at all? The prophet Jeremiah often felt discouraged and wondered if his efforts were futile. Jeremiah was God’s spokesman to Judah; he delivered messages of gloom that the Jewish people did not want to hear. He warned of God’s judgment and urged the people to repent and turn back to God, but they refused to listen. Jeremiah became a laughingstock and a target of mockery.

During his forty years of ministry, Jeremiah suffered much persecution – he was threatened, thrown into a muddy cistern, beaten, falsely accused, and imprisoned. At times he felt that God had forsaken him, and he cursed the day he was born (Jeremiah 20:14). Known as the “weeping prophet”, Jeremiah shed many tears for the people, but he never quit speaking for God. 

In 586 B.C, Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians; the Temple was destroyed and the people were taken into captivity. Tormented by grief, Jeremiah wept for Jerusalem. However, in the midst of his sorrow, he came to realize the depth of God's faithfulness and His unfailing love for His people, who would not be cast off forever (Lamentations 3:31-32). Jeremiah felt assured that God would bring His people back unto Himself and give them a future (Jeremiah 29:11). God called him into a difficult ministry, but He equipped him for the task. In spite of persecution, Jeremiah endured and proved to be one of God's greatest prophets.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for encouraging us during times of discouragement. Thank You for Your faithfulness that will continue throughout our lives. In Jesus’ name. Amen.




Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print