HOSPILALITY 3
by Olawale Ogunsola

 In this piece, I will continue to examine things involved in hospitality and some of the benefits accruing from such service. In doing this, the life of Lot, Abraham’s brother’s son, will be used as a guide.

 

     The man, Lot, went to Abraham’s college of faith and hospitality.

 

     How?

 

     He was living with Abraham after the demise of his own father and did not depart from Abraham until wealth parted them. The Scriptures read about them thus,

     “Now the land was not able to support them, that

      They might dwell together, for their possessions were

      So great that they could not dwell together.  Genesis 13:6

     (New King James Version NKJV)

 

     “Then, Lot chose for himself all the plain of Jordan, and Lot

     Journeyed east. And they separated from each other.”  Verse 11.

    Lot sojourned in the Land of Sodom and Gomorrah.

THINGS INVOVLED

 

     What are the things involved when this man engaged in hospitality?

 This is contained in Genesis chapter 19.

  1. He went to meet the two strangers. Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom when the two strangers were about to enter the city. He did not wait until they come to him. He met them, with smiles showing love. Verse 1 c-d.

 

  1. He honored them. “He bowed himself with his face toward the ground.” Verse 2e. He did not put on a high look. He did not say or do anything to dishonor them He, like Abraham, humbled himself before these strangers, in spite of his wealth.. he did not consider his status or possessions. He called them “my lords” verse 2.

 

 

  1. He pleaded with them. The Holy Bible reveals that Lot said,

“Here now, my Lords, please turn in to your servant’s house

and spend the night, and wash your feet, then you may rise

early and go on your way.”   Verse 2.

 

     These two men, who were angels although unknown to Lot were not ready to live in anybody’s house. They replied Lot,

   “No, but we will spend the night in the open square.” Verse 2.

 

     Lot would not give in. he insisted as the Holy Scriptures reveals,

     “But he insisted strongly, so they turned in to him and entered his house.”   Verse 3a.

     It was “strong insistence” that turned these men into Lot’s  house. That is what hospitality involves.

 

  1. He fed them. The two men did not requested for this. Lot saw this as a necessity and made it available on his own. Read this,

“Then he made them a feast, and baked

Unleavened bread, and they ate.”   Verse 3.

He demonstrated his righteousness in the midst of a wicked people.

 

  1. He provided water for their cleanliness and comfort His words,

“…wash your feet…”   verse 2.

He was a descent man who wanted others to live decently and comfortably. Note that Lot did not wait until the stranger requested it before he provided it. In this modern day, bathing must replace “washing of feet” most especially where water is not a problem as such. Even where there is water shortage, strangers must be provided for.

 

  1. He provided accommodation. They entered his house and ate there. He also made available a place to lay down for the night. Think of it, what do you need to have a night rest? Strangers need same.

 

  1. He gave them his counsel. The night drew nearer because the two men arrived the city of Sodom in the evening. He knew the wickedness of the people of the land which was great, and because their sin is very grave Genesis 18:20. His wise counsel remains,

“Here now, my lords, please turn in to your

Servant’s house, and spend the night, and wash your feet,

Then you may rise early and go your way.”   Genesis 19:2.

 

  1. He secured their lives. As the host of these strangers, he fought for their safety. How did he do this?

The wicked people of the land came to his house with aim of carrying out sodomy of their heart. Lot prevented them. He offered his two virgin daughters  to the wicked men. He said,

“I have two daughters who have not known a man, please,

Let me bring them out to you and you may do to them as you wish,

Only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come

Under the shadow of my roof.”   Genesis 19:8.

 

Go and do likewise! Practice righteousness among the wicked ones in your generation.

 

        BENEFITS OF HOSPITALITY

  1. He knew the secret that was unknown to any man in the land. After the misconduct of the men of the land, the two men, angel, reveals.

“For we will destroy this place, because the outary against them

Has grown great before the face of the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.”   Gen 19:13.

 

  1. Salvation of others. An uncommon opportunity arose for his wife, daughters and would be sons-in-laws to escape the pending destruction. His wife and daughters accepted the hand of salvation but Lot’s wife and sons’-in-laws perished. Their blood was on their heads!

 

  1. Lot, his two daughters were not consumed in that destruction. They escaped.

     What was the starting point? Simple HOSPITALITY!

     Please, go and do likewise!

     Stay blessed and prepared fosr the coming of the Lord.

NOTE

All Scriptures quoted are from New King James Version of the Holy Bible. 



The Author is the set man of CTFM(WORLD OUTREACH)and Presiding Pastor of Christ Restland Gospel Church.He is a Poet and author of many books. Visit his blogsites www.4thlink.wordpress.com and www.peacelink.wordpress.com for more quality contents.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print