Gloomy Solomon
by PamFord Davis

You can't take it with you. No one can; yet, we feel driven to work harder and acquire more. Years pass quickly; then many find it necessary to downsize. Keeping only necessities and a few things with sentimental value, the elderly sell or donate the remainder of their belongings. They release their hold on the fruits of their labor.

My Dad worked two jobs to provide for his large family. Following retirement, he and Mom moved from their New York State four-bedroom house into the confines of a mobile home. Soon after, they left inclement winter weather and relocated into a rental house in Texas. As they aged, declining health necessitated a move into a tiny two-bedroom government assisted housing apartment.

Dad was brokenhearted following Mom’s death. He not only suffered the passing of his spouse but the loss of material possessions as well. He moved out of their apartment in Texas and back to his home State of New York into an assisted living facility. At the time of his death, he shared a room in a nursing home.

Is that all there is?

“Absolute futility,’ says the Teacher.
“Absolute futility. Everything is futile.’
What does a man gain for all his efforts
that he labors at under the sun?
A generation goes and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever (Ecclesiastes 1:2-4 HCSB).”

Gloomy Solomon grumbled.

In conclusion…

“When all has been heard, the conclusion of the matter is: fear God and keep His commands, because this is for all humanity (Ecclesiastes 12:13 HCSB).”



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print