The Leprosy of the Soul
by Ken Barnes

But when he had become powerful, he also became proud, which led to his downfall. He sinned against the Lord his God by entering the sanctuary of the Lord’s Temple and personally burning incense on the incense altar (2 Chronicles 26: 16 NLT).

It was said of King Uzziah, “He did what pleasing in the Lord’s sight, just as his father, Amaziah, had done (v. 4), yet, through pride, he became a leper to the day of his death.

Uzziah was the King, but he was not permitted to burn incense in the Temple.  This task was reserved only for the priests.  Uzziah became a mighty king, but he also became proud. He decided that his way of doing things was better than God’s. Pride leads us to disobedience and sin is not far behind.  What are the signs that we are moving toward this downward spiral?   With Uzziah, the council he once received from his advisers, he despised.  He became enraged with those who to confronted him to save him from destruction (2 Chronicles 18-19 NLT). 

The problem with this spiritual malady is that if you have it, you are oblivious to it. If you think you are humble, you probably are not. If you believe it could never happen to you? Your wrong!  To deem that conceit’s long tentacles cannot reach down into your heart, makes you more susceptible than ever.  Listening to his counselors could have saved Uzziah. What will spare you and me?  Keeping ourselves accountable, to God and then man. God always tries to warn us.  Ignore the warning and that leprosy of our soul, pride, will usher in our downfall. “Pride leads to disgrace” (Proverbs 11:2 NLT).  Such is the story of the of the once great King, Uzziah.

 

 

 



I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print