Down and Forgotten
by Susan Ferguson

1 How long, LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 

2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?  

3 Look on me and answer, LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,

4 and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall.  

5 But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.

6 I will sing the LORD’s praise, for he has been good to me.  (Psalm 13 NIV)

David wrote Psalm 13 during a time of deep distress. In verses 1-2, he repeatedly asked God, “How long?” The problem David faced had apparently gone on for some time. He felt ignored and abandoned by God; he feared that his enemies would defeat him and rejoice at his downfall. In verse 3, David turned to God in prayer. Though his circumstances had not yet changed, he changed and embraced a new outlook. With renewed hope and strength, he concluded the psalm with singing and rejoicing (v. 5-6).

David felt down and forgotten, but rather than continue in his distress, he prayed and found strength in God to go on. Like David, we can get discouraged or feel ignored by God if our prayers seemingly go unanswered. But would the Father, who sent His Son to die for us, ignore our prayers and abandon us? We serve a good and faithful God. Therefore, let us pray and sing to the LORD and trust in His unfailing love.

 

Heavenly Father, strengthen those who feel hopeless, alone, down, and forgotten. Bring them out of their distress, renew their hope and joy, and fill their hearts with peace. In Jesus’ name. Amen




Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print