POOR IN SPIRIT
by Lupie Riley

POOR IN SPIRIT
Freelance writer Lupie Riley

Thought: I often wondered what Jesus meant in reading the 9 Beatitudes found in Math 5:3-12 when he spoke about those who were poor in spirit. During my research I discovered a deeper understanding of that portion of scripture. We cannot approach God without realizing our need to be spiritual void of self. It is only through Jesus that we are awakened to His presence through forgiveness of our sins. We are born-again spiritually. This has nothing to do with worldly wealth. The Greek word for blessed means happy. We are truly happy when our sins have been forgiven and were on our way to Heaven. Salvation comes by grace through faith and not of works.

Jesus went on to teach the disciples and the multitudes that followed him about comfort for those who mourn. This kind of “mourning” is that which leads to repentance and are blessed. Those who are meek will return with Him when he comes to set up His kingdom as King of Kings. Blessed are those who thirst after righteousness for they will experience the fullness of His Spirit. The merciful has similarities to those who do unto others as we would have them do to us. Then there are those pure in heart and have no malice in them, they will see God as He is. Peacemakers are called children of God because they practice the essence of who Jesus is—the peace maker and giver. Those who are persecuted have taken up their cross and lay their lives down for the faith. Jesus suffered persecution as he hung on the cross in excruciating pain for all mankind offering forgiveness and reconciliation with God. We hear stories everyday of Christians being martyred for the faith whose only guilt is speaking out the truth from God’s Word. Where do we stand if we were threatened with harm because we are followers of Jesus?

Jesus beatitudes were spoken to give all of God’s children hope for a better future. As believers we are participants in God’s kingdom to come forever and can experience His presence in our hearts and daily living.

Prayer: Father God, thank you for these instructions in the faith for they do make my heart glad that my sins have been forgiven and I’m on my way to Heaven. What a blessing it is to have your assurance that it will be as you say. Amen

Verse: Math. 5:3-10 “ LB “Humble men are very fortunate!” he told them, “for the Kingdom of Heaven is given to them. Those who mourn are fortunate! for they shall be comforted. The meek and lowly are fortunate! For the whole wide world belongs to them. Happy (blessed) are those who long to be just and good, for they shall be completely satisfied. Happy are the kind and merciful, for they shall be shown mercy. Happy are those whose hearts are pure, for they shall see God. Happy are those who strive for peace—they shall be called the sons of God. Happy are those who are persecuted because they are good, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.”



Married 58 years, four children, nine grandchildren and three greats.  I've been a freelance writer for over 40 years.  Working on a book at the present.  My priorities are God first, family, country. Look me up on Google search by my name Lupie Riley, click on first link. Faithwriters.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print