Dad
by PamFord Davis

Dad was born on September 24,1912. Born at home, his birthplace was a Mycenae, New York farm house. The youngest of three sons, my grandparents named him Franklin Freeborn Ford. They gave him the first name of Franklin in honor of his Uncle Franklin; a professor in New York City. Freeborn was his saintly mother’s maiden name.

Family was always important to Dad. He loved and honored his parents, showed respect to his older brothers and labored selflessly to provide for his wife and children. I’m grateful. Life was not easy for Dad and his relationship with Mom was often strained. After his retirement from General Electric, they made an appointment with a lawyer and filed for a legal separation.

Dad decided to relocate in Southern California.

He rented a small furnished apartment about a mile from where I was living with my husband and two young children. He enjoyed swimming in the pool and working with us in our community vegetable garden. Mostly, he enjoyed eating from the bumper crop of sweet corn! When attending church with us, Dad made a commitment to Jesus Christ.

Later, he told me something. As I stood at his side, singing hymns; it brought back memories of my grandmother. She had a strong influence in his early spiritual training. I have a cherished keepsake; it’s a perfect attendance certificate from the Kirkville Methodist Church Sunday School Department. Dad received it at the tender age of 17.

“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15 NKJV).”

Mom also gave her life to Christ during their separation. They reconciled and repeated their marriage vows in a formal church ceremony.



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print