THE SPIRIT OF REPENTANCE
by linzy bruno

 

The practice of readiness and willingness to repent is one of the keys to the  development of knowledge that enables discernment between the proper response to God’s Old Covenant Law and the freedoms under the New Covenant with God through Christ.

It’s the spirit of repentance, that sensitivity to the gentle promptings of God’s Holy Spirit, that is so important to God and when believers practice keeping their hearts pliable and their eyes and ears open, the result is clear communication which the primary element in any satisfying relationship. God has made A Plan for an intimate, personal relationship with each one of His followers, through faith in Christ. His Desire for relationship over religion is made clear in the New Testament, especially through Jesus’ Teachings and Example shown through His response to the “Religious Leaders;” namely, the Scribes and Pharisees. His Rebuke of legalism and His disgust over hypocrisy sends a powerful message that God intended for His people.

The Old Testament message regarding the Law has caused a great deal of confusion in the Church. The Apostle Paul spoke of this confusion, which confirms that this propensity has been going on since the foundation of the Church age.

For as many as have sinned without law also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.”

(Romans 2:12-13)

Another vital difference to note is that under the New Covenant, believers are commanded to obey out of unfeigned and abiding love for God, while under Old Covenant Law, restoration with God was founded in sacrifice, which meant the sinner may or may not have made the decision to turn away from his sin, which is repentance:

For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.” (Romans 2:25)

This condition of reconciliation through works, rather than redemption through a change of heart, is one of the aspects of Old Testament Law, that made that system so inadequate.

Let us assess some of the functions of the Old Testament Law:

1). God’s Law provided a tediously stringent sacrificial system

2). The Law provided God Ordained Markers for Feast Days

3). The Law provides an overreaching moral code that outspans time periods, customs, and any and all changes that occurred or will occur upon the earth

4). The law was given to show man his weakness and need for God’s Plan of Salvation

When broken down in this manner, it becomes clear that God gave the law for several purposes, the law has more than one function and some of them have  passed away, while other more important ones remain. When Christ’s Blood was shed for all mankind, the need for blood sacrifice became obsolete, however God has not obliterated His Ceremonial Feast Days and He has certainly NOT done away with His Command of living by His Moral Code or man’s need for a savior:

 

“Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”

 

(Philippians 2:12)

 

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Proverbs 1:7)

 

And in Matthew 5:17, Jesus said:

 

“Do not think that I came to destroy the law of the prophets. I did not come to destroy, but to fulfill.” (Matthew 5:17)

 

“for the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)

 

The spirit of repentance, which comes from living with a circumcised heart, is the key to sensitivity of the Holy Spirit’s promptings, which is essential to maintaining a steadfast, right-standing relationship with God.

 

 

Acknowledgements:

NKJV, ESV



Linzy has been writing for many years; seriously since her 3 kids were still young and inspirational. She has taken 2 courses in Bible studies and completed "Four Soils" Bible study course in a 26-month period; earning her certification in Bible Counselling.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print