In Search of Food
by PamFord Davis

Uncle Alex married Dorothy Rice, the store owner’s daughter.

Today, I saw an old snapshot of Rice’s Store on a Facebook site. Gone are the days of most Mom & Pop neighborhood grocery stores. Such is the case with Rice’s Grocery, Kirkville, New York.

What led to their demise? Certainly ‘Super Stores’ do play a major factor. I grew up in the 1950’s & 60’s. Not many of the mothers I knew worked outside of the home or drove a car to a super market. The husbands and wives went shopping together or husbands were sent to a neighborhood store with grocery lists.

My Mom made out the Ford family list. Sometimes we all went together to Uncle Alex’s & Aunt Dorothy’s store; on many occasions Mom sent Dad on the errand. Those fortunate to live in Kirkville walked to the store for bread, milk, coffee, sugar or other staples. I must not leave out children’s shopping experiences.

They took their time before deciding on what penny candies to buy. If they had more than pennies, they bought their favorite candy bars or ice cream. Big decisions…

Jesus' disciples were not making difficult decisions; they just went to a city to find food.

“So He came to a city of Samaria which is called Sychar, near the plot of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied from His journey, sat thus by the well. It was about the sixth hour.

A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, ‘Give Me a drink.’ For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food (John 4:5-8 NKJV).”

While the disciples were away (in search of food) the woman found living water, everlasting life! (John 4:7-29)

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print