Belief isâ
by Susan Hanson

Today, “belief” is associated with “thinking”, meaning that if I say I believe something, I am acknowledging that it is real, it exists. Abraham shows us that in ancient times, when someone “believed” - as Abraham believed God – it was of ‘life and death’ seriousness. Abraham staked everything on his belief that God would do exactly as He said He would. This is the faith (belief) that saves, as Paul teaches (Ephesians 2:8). This is the faith (belief) that James teaches (James 2:14-17) is not separate from action – both require the other. A more modern example of this principle is the following story I read a few months ago.

“The Great Blondin, probably the Evel Knievel of his day, was notorious for his incredible, death-defying acts. On one occasion, he strung a tightrope across the Niagara Falls. As a crowd gathered, he stood before them and said, “How many of you believe that I, the Great Blondin, can walk across this tightrope to the other side?”

They all said, “We believe! We believe!” So he walked across the tightrope and came back again. The people applauded, thrilled by his death-defying feat.

Then he said, “How many of you believe that I, the Great Blondin, can not only walk back across that tightrope, but this time do it while I push a wheelbarrow?”

“We believe!” they yelled louder, wanting to see him do this. Then he said, “How many of you really believe it?”

“Oh, we really believe it!” they shouted back. One man was yelling a little bit louder than all the others, so the Great Blondin pointed to him and said, “Then get in the wheelbarrow.” The man quickly disappeared.

That’s how a lot of people are today. We’ll say, “I believe! I believe!” But how many are truly willing to get into God’s wheelbarrow, so to speak? Some people have a pseudofaith but not real belief as the Bible would require. It is, therefore, of the greatest importance that we know what true faith is. The book of James points out there is such a thing as a phony or dead faith. And any declaration of faith that does not result in a changed life and good works is a false declaration. It is faith alone that justifies. But faith that justifies can never be alone.”

 

 

 

 

 



I was raised in church but always felt like I was missing something. Now the Word of God excites me! My curiosity enhances the pursuance of discernment. I have often felt discouraged, but not totally defeated knowing that in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print